Our research priorities reflect our principles and help us achieve our goals. They include:
- Developing methods to better account for and incorporate outcomes that matter to patients. Improving the ability of value assessments to yield viewpoints that reflect real patient experiences will inform optimized treatment regimens and improved outcomes for patients.
- Advancing analytical methods and flexible models that account for the impact of patient heterogeneity on the value of treatment sequence choices. Better understanding value for specific populations and local contexts supports decision-making that optimizes value-based decisions for both payers and patient subgroups.
- Establishing modeling approaches that allow users to better assess scientific uncertainty by illuminating how vulnerable analyses are to structural assumptions and enabling the inclusion of new or subgroup-specific evidence. Such modeling flexibility supports greater confidence in value assessment.
- Advancing multiple analytic frameworks for estimating value, most notably multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA). MCDA is an established approach for assessing value based on the relative importance of multiple attributes. Approaches like MCDA present an important alternative framework for value-based decision-making, with particular potential for capturing patient preferences.
- Providing thought leadership to improve value assessment by highlighting needs, asking provocative questions, energizing stakeholders of all types, and continuing to push the boundaries beyond “safe” topics. For example, IVI explores novel value measures in IVI models as augmented cost-effectiveness analysis.
- Demonstrating the importance of incorporating sources of real-world evidence in value assessment. In addition, IVI promotes the collection of real-world data in standardized formats and the use of best practices in designing and conducting real-world data studies.
- Establishing IVI’s open-source and collaborative approach to value assessment as the standard for the field, fulfilling a market need for transparency to all actors and supporting rapid-cycle model development and testing that informs population-level decision-makers.
- Conducting and publishing case studies with model end-users to assess the relevance and impact of IVI’s novel, collaborative approach to value assessment.